Even though Opus is now standardized by the IETF, this Opus implementation will keep improving in the future. Of course, all future versions will still be fully compliant with the Opus IETF specification. See the development page for the latest development information.
Development binary buildsIn addition to support in Firefox, Mozilla provides binary builds of Opus utilities.
|Mac OS X||opus-tools-0.1.8-macos.tar.gz||399KiB|
|Opus-tools provides command-line utilities to encode, inspect, and decode .opus files.|
|Opusfile provides application developers with a high-level API for decoding and seeking in .opus files. DLLs for the required libraries, libogg 1.3.1 and libopus 1.1 beta and openssl, are also included in the binary package.|
Latest stable release
Opus 1.1 includes:
- new analysis code and tuning that significantly improves encoding quality, especially for variable-bitrate (VBR),
- automatic detection of speech or music to decide which encoding mode to use,
- surround with good quality at 128 kbps for 5.1 and usable down to 48 kbps, and
- speed improvements on all architectures, especially ARM, where decoding uses around 40% less CPU and encoding uses around 30% less CPU.
- Source code: opus-1.1.tar.gz
Opus 1.0.3 includes a backport of the new 1.1 surround API. Aside from that, it includes fixes for a few minor glitches during mode switching, some minor fixed-point fixes, and fixes a regression in the FEC code introduced in 1.0.2.
- Source code: opus-1.0.3.tar.gz
Latest development releases
This release fixes a memory corruption bug with FLAC album art handling.
- Source code: opus-tools-0.1.8.tar.gz
This third release candidate fixes some issues with the fixed-point build. Floating-point is unaffected.
- Source code: opus-1.1-rc3.tar.gz
This second release candidate fixes an alignment issue on ARMv5E and improves the Neon optimizations. Other platforms are unaffected.
- Source code: opus-1.1-rc2.tar.gz
Compared to 1.1-beta, this new release further improves surround encoding quality. It also includes better tuning of surround and stereo for lower bitrates. The complexity has been reduced on all CPUs, but especially ARM, which now has Neon assembly for the encoder. At last, there are a few bugfixes.
- Source code: opus-1.1-rc.tar.gz
This release has numerious build fixes, including updated Visual Studio project files to match similar changes in the opus package. Support encoding from FLAC files. Metadata tag support, including album art. Use the new surround encoder API in opus 1.0.3. The opusenc --uncoupled switch no longer works.
- Source code: opus-tools-0.1.7.tar.gz
The opusfile library provides seeking, decode, and playback of Opus streams in the Ogg container (.opus files) including over http on posix and windows systems.
This release includes Microsoft Visual Studio project files, supports HTTPS urls on Windows, and includes new API calls for gain control and picture metadata as well as numerous bug fixes.